Saturday, February 22, 2014

New Nova Daily Driver...

Over the last few months (since the 2013 Holiday season, actually) I've come to the unnerving realization that, as my weight has crept up towards 195lb, I just can't compete for waves on a 9-6. This is especially true on a typical day at my local break, where the waves are a mushy, waist-high. The 10-0 Classic I used last summer was OK, but felt, well, a little log-ish and one-dimensional. My 9-6 Nova Speedster needs shoulder-high or better surf before it hits its stride as a fast, responsive LB. This 9-9 Nova is my attempt to achieve longboard Nirvana, that is, one longboard for all occasions, big or small, fast or slow.




 Dimensions are 9'9" 18-5/8"x23"x14" 3-1/8" I kept the rails a little full, wanting to maintain some of the volume that my 10-0 offered. The tail is a pulled-in, mini-square tail, which I believe is the best tail shape for a "performance" LB. I added a little extra "V" in the tail to compensate for the lower 3-5/8" tail rocker. This LB should be both fast and responsive. I added a half-length, blended nose concave with a beveled-rail, a la Infinity Rad NR, Stewart Hydro Hull, Walden Magic. The beveled rail is believed to make trimming from the nose a little easier, but we'll see. I did it more as a shaping exercise, having never done one before.

The board has a t-band center stringer and was finished with a beautiful, resin-tint Ice Green bottom and rails, and an Ice Blue resin-tint deck inlay, set off by a red pin line. A red "wishbone" pin line sets off the bottom concave. Gloss & Polish, of course! The price for a board like this is a reasonable $890 (without fins). Contact me and lets talk about your next "one-board-quiver".

No comments:

Post a Comment